Tuesday, September 09, 2014

A Finish Honoring My Grandmother


Finally here is Hannah Lovina Joslin 1856 by Blackbird Designs all completed! I am honoring my maternal grandmother Vida Mae McCants Salter with this sampler. I absolutely love seeing her name on this and it is one of the many things I love about Blackbird Designs. My grandmother was born December 18, 1904 in Alabama. She was the oldest of 12 children.  Those were very hard times and there wasn't much to be had.  She worked in the fields as a child and made about 10 cents a day. She only completed school until about the 8th grade, because she needed to help out at home with the other children and chores. She met and married my grandfather Mack Travis Salter in 1929.  She worked in the homes of others and when not doing that she was taking care of her family.. She went on the have 12 children of her own, of which 3 boys went to heaven. My mom is her youngest child and namesake. 

I became close to my grandmother as a baby, when she cared for me while my mom was in college. I stayed with her till I was about 4 years old. One summer, when I was about 15-16 I was tasked with taking care of my grandmother.  She had been ill and my family left me to stay with her till they could get some things organized. I was responsible for her meals, medications and general care. For me it was no hardship, and I firmly believe that moment in time that summer cemented my desire to be a nurse. I must admit to being scared and thinking that my family was nuts to leave me with her, but I took my job seriously because I couldn't let her down. I will never forget that summer. 

My grandmother died when I was 18 of cancer. I wish that we had had more time together.  Now that I am older I think of all the things I should have asked and talked to her about. Things that at the time I was too young to appreciate and understand the significance of. Things that I miss from our time together are fresh tomato sandwiches and egg custard pies. Two of her sister's didn't live far from her and we would walk to visit them. Also, every time we went into town, I could con her into getting me a small toy from the five and dime store ;-)  I miss her more than I can say. 


This is she and I. most likely when I was a little over a year old,  sometime in 1967.  We don't have a lot of pictures of my grandmother for some reason. I love the way my finger clutches hers.


That is my grandmother smiling the pink dress with the bun on top of her head. This was in 1976 at a family reunion and she is surrounded by two of her sisters and three of her brothers. I love this picture! Also, I get a kick out of seeing those seventies clothes too.


This last picture is most likely from 1979, and is probably the last formal picture we have of my grandmother. If you have made it to the end here, I appreciate your reading about someone that was and is still very special to me. Thank you! 

Blessings

xoxo


26 comments:

Lisa V said...

Your love for your Grandmother is very evident Sharon, what a lovely post. It kind of echoes my latest post where I speak of losing my Grandad.
Lovely sampler.

Margaret said...

What a beautiful sampler you stitched for your beloved grandmother Sharon. The sampler and the loving post are amazing to see and read. Thank you for letting us meet this wonderful woman.

If you haven't done so already please print a copy of your post including the pictures and attach it to the back of the samplers' frame. In this way your children & grandchildren can enjoy & remember it all many years from now.

Anna van Schurman said...

What a lovely tribute to your grandmother. And beautiful stitching.

Michele said...

A wonderful sampler. Thank you for sharing the story of your Grandmother. I enjoyed reading it and envisioning the relationship that you had with her. I'm glad that you had that special summer with her. Every time that you look at your new sampler, you'll smile and think of her. God bless you.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful Sharon! Loved reading every word of this post.

Annette-California said...

I loved every word you shared with us about your incredible beautiful grandmother. Gorgeous sampler in her honor. It does warm the heart to see her name stitched by you. It was meant to be that it was you to be caring for your grandmother when you did. If you hadn't do you think you would of considered being a nurse? I bet your a great nurse now:) Thank you sharing your grandma with us, so precious. love Annette

Mii Stitch said...

A beautiful finish :)

Melissa said...

Sharon, what a lovely finish and a beautiful tribute to your grandmother. It is amazing the people who have inspired us when we were growing up but we didn't know at the time! She sounds like a lovely woman.

Julie said...

Very lovely post and a beautiful stitched piece to remember a much loved lady.

Hazel said...

Very lovely post and finish. I'm sure she would be proud. X

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Loved the stitching but really loved the story of your grandmother.

valerie said...

Beautiful finish and such a wonderful way to honor your grandmother!

Honeybee said...

I loved reading about your Grandmother. Your sampler honoring her is just beautiful. What a treasure.

Sally said...

What a wonderful bond you had with your grandmother and this is such a beautiful tribute to her.

Christine said...

Your finished piece is beautiful and so is your story about your time with your Grandmother.

Brenda A said...

It looks amazing!!!

Lulu said...

What a lovely tribute to an amazing woman. Cheers to you on your finish!

Nancy*Glory Bee said...

What a beautiful story and lovely tribute to your grandmother! Beautiful stitching....Nancy

Brigitte said...

This post and your beautifully stitched piece are such a wonderful tribute to your grandmother. She must have been a hearty woman, I love her hesrtwarming smile on the last picture.

Karoline said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandmother, the sampler is gorgeous

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Beautiful sampler for a lovely lady. It was so interesting reading about your grandmother. She was 11 years older than mine, who was one of ten children. She left school at 14 and worked in a laundry.
I was also very close to her and was the only family member with her when she passed away. She waited until everyone else had popped home!

The egg custards made me laugh so much though. My friend Catherine used to go to her grandmother's for her tea once a week. She hated egg custards but always ate them really quickly to get it over with. As a result her grandmother thought she loved them and always made "your favourite dessert" each week!

Pam in IL said...

Sharon, I loved reading about your grandmother! Your sampler is so lovely and perfect for honoring your wonderful grandmother.

Lillie said...

A lovely tribute Sharon.

Diana Burke said...

A really lovely story about your Grandmother. x

stitcherw said...

What a lovely memory piece to your grandmother, how special to be able to look at it and have it bring back so many memories. I think its great you were able to do so much with your grandmother and get so close to her, so many people don't seem to be able to have that connection with their grandparents for some reason. I was lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time with my grandmother as well, and have wonderful memories. Sue

Pat Matejcek said...

Sharon such a beautiful sampler to honor your Grandmother! Your sampler is lovely and you will remember her every
time you look at it!