Sunday, September 24, 2006

My First Flat Fold!





Well, I have completed my first flat fold and I must say I am reasonably happy with it. I used Judy Odells Flat Fold Book. The book was great as it provided step by step instructions and pictures. (Lord knows I needed pics) My only complaint would be that as a novice sewer I knew nothing about the ladder stitch and it doesn't tell whether or not to use regular sewing thread.

Lucky for me Anne at
Feather Stitching had just completed a flat fold and she answered a couple of questions for me. Thanks Anne! I asked her if she sewed or glued her pieces together. Her stitching is so beautiful you can't tell! She sewed her pieces together. But, she had provided a link for a no sew flat fold here. What's a sistah to do? After much indecision, I decided to glue the front two pieces together using tacky glue. Because, a sewer I am not. I then put it under something very heavy for a couple of hours, and this is the finished project. I made the bow myself.

One of the reasons I am glad it came out okay-is because this gives me more finishing options. My next goal is to try a box. But stitching friends don't hold your breath on that one just yet-LOL


ETA: The no sew flat fold instructions are courtesy of Kim from In Stitches. She also has no sew cube instructions which you can find here . Thanks Kim!

22 comments:

jymisgurl said...

It's gorgeous! It looks wonderful! Great job!

Concetta said...

That looks fantastic! I know who I'm coming to for tips if I ever do one of these. ;-) Go you!

Erin said...

Looks great! I have Kim's flat-fold and box finishing instructions printed out, too, hoping to get brave enough to try them someday...but glue and I can be a dangerous combination.... Guess for now I'll stick to my sewing machine!!

Carol said...

Very, very good job Sharon!!

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic Sharon!! Good on you!!

bunnyhead said...

Your flat fold is very cute! I love that design. Thank you for the link to the no sew flat fold. I'm going to have to try my first flat fold very soon as well! LOL.

Sue said...

Your flat fold came out great!! You should be very happy with that, I would be.

BeckySC said...

You did good :) :) :)~
Congratulations :)
Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Michelle said...

You're a finishing queen! Love the pink fabric you've chosen. Beautiful!

Cindy said...

You should be thrilled! It is lovely! Fantastic job on the flat fold!

Anonymous said...

That is so adorable. you did a great job!

J Rae said...

Sharon, It sure looks great! Thanks, also, for providing the links, etc. for the instructions.

Von said...

First time or not, your finishes look terrific! Great job,Sharon! And the next ones will go together easier. Just don't let it be too long. :) Sometimes that's my problem, I let too much time go by in between finishing sessions and my confidence vanishes.

Lili said...

A lovely stitching and a perfect finish. And the design: yummy!!!
Take care!

Lili said...

Btw, the no sew recipe is Kim's from the blog "In stitches". Here's the link: you will enjoy it! She and her DH both stitch wonderful things, and Kim is a real sweetie!http://institches1.blogspot.com/
Enjoy!

Kali said...

Your flat fold looks great! Congrats on your finish.

Anonymous said...

Wow - absolutely gorgeous and I love your choice of fabric for it too!

Thanks for the link to the no sew flat fold to boot!

Missed reading your blog whilst I was MIA, so was fun to catch up with all that you had been doing *hugs*

Myrna said...

Sharon -- that looks great! Love the design, and the finishing is superb!

Would you share the finishing instructions for a pinkeep? Yours looks wonderful, and I would like to try that finishing technique.

So... how have you been?

Hugs...

Cathy said...

Awesome! I have yet to try one of these, but you have inspired me. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job! I have the Flat Fold book but haven't tried the technique yet.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Sharon, I second what Myrna asked, is it possible for you to share your finishing instructions? I tried a pinkeep on the weekend which I dont think I can even salvage - it just turned out so wrong!

Aleida Brandvold said...

I go to the "here" links for the no sew instructions. Site location must have changed because I am just not seeing it.